Saturday, January 25, 2014

Art Blog: TIME OUT

I remember a time when I was an exhibition coordinator at an art center near Detroit. One day I went to work excited because I had just been accepted to a very prestigious exhibition. I told a coworker. Instead of congratulations, she responded by saying "You get into EVERY show! You never get rejected!". I was stunned. I did get rejected many times. I just entered a whole lot of shows. At that time, the odds were in my favor. I would enter 10 shows and get into at least 5 or 6. That was pretty good! I figured it would be this way always.

Well, that is not true. The past few years have been a roller coaster ride. I have entered so many shows and the stats do not look good. In fact, I am on the losing end of the data. This is very distressing, but valuable information. I mean, it is really something to think about and makes me want to figure out why this is happening. I try to keep my work current and relevant. However, I can't control the fads and fashion of the art world. Nor can I predict the likes and dislikes of the current jury pool. All I know for sure is that artists have to endure a roller coaster of subjective opinion regardless of time and place. It really is a crap shoot!

I am so sick of reading "We regret to inform you............" In fact, I think I have experienced the saturation point. So I decided to step back. What if I took a full year to just MAKE art? I don't want to enter any shows or try to be in this gallery or that art dump. I just want to concentrate on new work. That sounds like a good plan. It will give me time to emotionally heal from the constant pounding of rejection. I am putting myself in TIME OUT! Also at the end of this year, I will have a new body of work. Both strategies will help to promote a healthier outlook on art and my art life. This way, I will not feel like I am "Going Nowhere Fast".


"Going Nowhere Fast"
Click pic for larger view

1 comment:

artjas said...

Sometimes it's good to get out of the comfort zone and take new paths.
New paths just might show us things about our-self that needs exploring.