Sunday, January 4, 2009

Art Blog: Social Networking

I am not a fan of social networking sites at all. In fact, I made a MySpace page years ago and that lasted for a few months. It was so boring and I just didn’t want to give it my precious time. Also, I just don’t get this internet FRIENDS thing. To me, it is kind of fake. It becomes obvious rather quickly people don’t want be your friend. They just want to say they have a lot of friends! I see that same phenomenon on YouTube. People want bunches of subscribers, but they never give anything back to you. There aren’t any comments or emails from them. Once you subscribe to them, it becomes about them. I don’t like the insincerity of it all.

A few weeks ago, I wanted to send an artist a message. I couldn’t find any website or anything for her. However, I did find out that she had a Facebook page. So I logged onto Facebook, updated my profile and sent her the message. That was that. I didn’t go out trolling for friends or anything. Like I said, that isn’t my deal.

Well, something happened yesterday that made me change my mind! I got an email from Linkedin. It said “Harrod Blank” sent me an invitation to connect. I thought “Who the HELL is Harrod Blank“? Yet, that name looked familiar. So I went and looked. I nearly jumped out of my chair! Harrod Blank is the guy who wrote the ART CAR books and creates the ART CAR videos! Oh MY GOSH! I am a total Harrod Blank groupie! Little did he know I have used his book and video in my classes for YEARS! My rascals, I mean students, need to be engaged in strange ways. They are special ed kids and need special lessons. Harrod’s work fits the bill!

I quickly replied to him and told him I was such a fan. We emailed back and forth quite a few times. I was so excited. WOW. That was cool!


Harrod’s ART CAR book is just a fun book to have!

I have shown this picture before. I just didn't mention Harrod Blank. This is how much I love Harrod and his art car documentation. I even let the students paint my truck multiple times over the years.
Hooray for ART CARS and Harrod Blank!

6 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

ooh la la that is totally cool and so are the cars :)

Martha Marshall said...

I do love art cars! How cool that you communicated with the artist and that it was about something dear to you and your "kids."

I find LinkedIn to be more grown up and professional. I like it.

ckw said...

LUV THE ART CAR DUDE AND I GET WHAT YA MEAN ABOUT THE WHOLE NET-FRIEND WEIRDNESS- BUT ALSO COOL WHEN YOU CAN CONNECT WITH A MEANINGFUL DEAL AS YOU DID- ALWAYS PROS AND CONS FOR MOST THINGS IN THE WORLD-- I REALLY ADMIRE THAT YOU HAD YOUR KIDS PAINT YOUR TRUCK -I TEACH ART IN A K-8TH GRADE PLACE AND WE HAVE PAINTED OUR GARBAGE DUMPSTERS AND THAT WAS FUN!
THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION AND THOUGHTS-
CKW

namastenancy said...

I love that book - it's a total blast! And yes for connecting via art blogs. I have loved meeting artists (and other people) via the Internet and I'm always overjoyed with people post on my blog. Well, most of the time - some of the posts...well. Enough said. But really, artists can be so isolated and this was is simply a fabulous, non- threatening and non-competitive way to connect. Plus, great art, great people and (often) great thoughts. And even when they aren't great, they're still muy fabulous.

José said...

Hi there,

I'm not into social networking either, but what the impression that I try to pass on the net is the same as in real life.
I do have a myspace page and once in a while I visit it, but I usually don't send messages to others. It's more as to have another link to my web presence.
I prefer my blog to interact and to provide information.

Wish you a prosperous 2009,

José

Sheree Rensel said...

Jaf: Yeah, it is COOL!

Martha: I agree. Linkedin is more grown up, serious, and there seems to be less game playing.

Ckw: Thanks for your comment! Hey, painted dumpsters are cool! I think we should paint EVERYTHING!

Nancy: His book is a blast! His video is hysterical!

Jose: Thanks for leaving a comment! Yes, I am signed on MySpace and a few others for the simple reason I want to be able to send messages to a few people or see profiles. Other than that, I don't see the point. However, I too am not a social butterfly! LOL