Saturday, January 24, 2009

Art Blog: No place like HOME


“There is no place like HOME.
There is no place like HOME!”


OMG! I am so glad I am back at my little, art house in St. Petersburg, Florida. I have never, ever been so appreciative of my little patch of home. Never! I rolled into St. Pete at 11 AM. I was so delighted to see street signs for which I am familiar. I realize I love, love, love this place so much.

Since Wednesday, I have been in Orlando. I hate that place. Word up! If you ever plan on going there, don’t bother with 1, 5, or 10 dollar bills. Get a huge roll of twenties and kiss them goodbye. EVERYTHING is overpriced there. I absolutely hated my hotel. I hated it so much; I started to document all the things that were awful. I took video clips. I took photos. I thought of writing letters. Then it occurred to me that I don’t even want any discounts on future visits or even an apology because I will NEVER stay there again. NEVER. That place was horrible!

I made my way back home and was greeted by this email:

Opps! I forgot to tell you. Another one of my resolutions is to “JUST BE NICE”. So I am censoring the email and my blog response to it. LOL I have to admit. This rejection hit me very hard. I have tried to get work in that gallery three times. I even made a conscious effort to pick appropriate work for the show and did a really great job submitting the entry. Still, no good.

The one thing that struck me as hilarious is the final sentence of the email:
“We hope to see you at the opening reception on Friday, February 13.”
Yeah, right. Kiss my ass! OPPS. Be nice Sheree!

There were a few GOOD things that happened this week. I will probably talk about them in future posts. I did get to see MY Philippe Cousteau Jr. speak. What a great guy with such a rich family history! Be sure to check out his website, Earth Echo which promotes earth conservation. Also, enjoy just looking at him. I sure did! LOL LOL



So I am home. I am shutting the doors feeling the pangs of rejection. I am closing the blinds. I just want to be left alone with my crappy, uncool, shitty art.
At least, I think it is substantial and worthwhile. AT LEAST.

4 comments:

deb said...

I have a feeling that these things go in cycles, up and down, and I know you won't be down for long, and if it cheers you up any it is 8 here, feels like -3 with the wind chill and I have at least 3ft yes FEET of snow in my yard... and your art does NOT suck, I enjoy it immensely, i love how irreverent and vibrant it is and how you don't care what the "important" art world thinks!!

Gayle said...

Orlando is definitely not the same town I grew up in, except for one exception--it still has a disturbing lack of artistic outlets for creative people or those who aspire to be. Even without the culture, it used to be a much better place with mostly cow pastures and orange groves. I've been wanting out of here for more years than I can recall. If not for the internet and being able to connect with other creatives electronically, I'd go mad.

Sheree Rensel said...

Deb,
Oh I know things go up and down, this way and that, right and left, upside down and backwards. I too know my art doesn't suck.

You have one thing wrong. That gallery wasn't an important gallery at all. In fact, it is a rinky dink gallery. I think that is why it bothered me so much. In the back of my mind, I was thinking "I can't get my work in THAT gallery?? Holy crap!" I have had a few days to see things differently.

Thank you SO MUCH for your positive support. I really appreciate your thoughts and comments! :-)

Sheree Rensel said...

Gayle,
Oh I can imagine! I have been here in St. Petersburg for only 17 years and it has changed immensely. This is a cultural wasteland too. It looks good on paper. The tourist council plays up the ARTS here. It really is a bunch of smoke and mirrors.
I too find the internet as a life line right now. I understand what you are saying! Thanks so much for your feedback! :-)