Friday, November 9, 2007

SchizoARTia

I just got home from my day job “Happy Hour”. The people I work with are not artists. I love them all, but they don’t understand my “double life”. So after a few beers and well wishing for a great weekend, I came home. I plopped down on the couch. I sat for a moment thinking of the weekend art tasks at hand. I looked down at my “coffee table”. (What a misnomer considering I have never drunk a cup of coffee in my life.) I looked at the array of stuff. I started to do a drunken mental inventory. Even though I was buzzed, I saw something in this pile of stuff. I realized I have schizoartia. This disorder expresses itself in the way individuals who are creatively inclined, yet don’t really know which direction to go collect all kinds of crap to support their lack of focus. They are artistically confused.
So look at this picture. Starting at the left, we have a Jasper Johns video on top of Art 21. Those are both sitting on top of a Jonathan Talbot art marketing book. At the top of the picture, there is an Artists Magazine which embarrasses me, but is good to have for teaching purposes. Directly below that are Art Journals from the College Art Association. The right side of the pic shows RAW VISION, my favorite magazine on top of two books about artists studios. Those books are my dream books and illustrate all the studios I wish I had. So there lies the problem. I am all over the place. Obviously, I need to concentrate. To put it bluntly, all these art artifacts represent different directions. I suffer from SchizoARTia! It is just so hard because ART covers such a huge span of definitions and interests. I told a woman once I was an artist and she said “ME TOO!”. Come to find out she made prefab frog soap dishes and sold them at flea markets. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! No No No No No! I am not that kind of artist. Absolutely no offense to her, but I am a DIFFERENT kind of artist. So I guess it will be my job in coming days to hone down this crazy mess of categories. I just have to figure out where Sheree belongs. In other words, I have to pick a personality. I don’t like being Schizo.


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Oh, Sheree - I'm right there with you. All over the place, and maybe in some places I don't belong. Let's keep at it together. I'm sure one day we can focus. Or, perhaps my best hope, to be able to channel the Schizo into phases, work on the variety of interests one at a time, explore in depth, then, NEXT!