Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Few FAMOUS Women Artists (?) Huh?

I can remember it so vividly. As a freshman in college, I enrolled in a class titled “Women in Literature”. Those were post hippie days and on the heels of the Feminist movement. Sitting there with my made up face, cute new shoes, and a body full of na├»ve enthusiasm, I listened. There were all kinds of women in this class. Little girls, like me. There were plaid clad big women who seemed very loud. There were a myriad of every sort of female. I became distressed during the very first class. There was so much noise and angst. I couldn’t understand it. In my eighteen year old mind, I just didn’t get it. Coming from an all female family and never being told about being female in America, I just didn’t understand. In my world, I thought I could do whatever I want; I could be whatever I wanted; the world was my oyster!
Well………………………………….It took a few more years, but I finally got it. In grad school, I was totally aware of my female stature. TOTALLY. Now, I know this kind of stuff is like talking about religion or politics. Words suggesting discrimination of any kind are like drops of gasoline dropping on sparkling kindling. Too bad! This is the way I see the world. It is so obvious. I remember a few years ago, I was ordering art posters from an art supply catalog. There were over a hundred posters available showing artwork by male artists. I could find four by female artists. This just isn’t right. I wrote the company and told them I was so ticked; I would never buy their products until this inequity changed. I saw their catalog recently. I can report I noticed very little difference.
I was so happy today to read an article on ArtNet.com. Jerry Saltz has written about this female/male dilemma as it relates to New York museums. Read it! For those who think this is B.S., you are so wrong. Discrimination in all its forms lives, big time! Yes, even in 2007!


”GIRL I NEVER WAS”
Acrylic/Mixed Media
5” X 6” X 4”
Click to Enlarge

3 comments:

Zoey said...

You go, gurl.

Sheree Rensel said...

Thank you Zoey!! I appreciate your comment!
:-)
Sheree

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the article, it was really interesting, and it helped me with my assignment for my art class!

Sarah